How complicit are you in creating the conditions you say you don’t want? 
Think about an issue you are trying to resolve at the moment. One you are finding difficult or frustrating.
Now, here is a list of potential character roles you might be filling in that story :
- Gate Keeper
- Story Teller
Can you pick one that resonates for you? Pick one and then answer these questions:
- How does the character you chose, normally act?
- How does being that character have you acting?
- How are others responding to that character?
Now, pick a different character. Pick one you would like to be in this story and answer these questions:
- How would the new character normally act?
- If you were this character, how would that have you changing your behaviour?
- How would others respond to you if you were that new character?
Repeat the exercise until you find the character, behaviour and response that you are after.
 I first heard this question when listening to a podcast hosted by Tim Ferriss
 There are many more characters. Which ones haven’t I listed?